The IRSN was created infebruary 22th by article 5 of law no.2001 – 398 of 9 May, and by the implementing order of 22 February.
The IRSN is a public establishment of an industrial and commercial nature placed under the joint authority of the Ministries of the Environment, Health, Industry, Research and Defence.
The IRSN employs about 1,600 employees including many specialists, engineers, researchers, physicians, agronomists, veterinary surgeons and technicians, skilled experts in nuclear safety and radiological protection and in the field of controlling sensitive nuclear materials.
The IRSN is the expert in research and specialised assessments into nuclear and radiological risk serving public authorities.
• Environment and response
• Human radiological protection
• Prevention of major accidents
• Reactor safety
• Safety of plants, laboratories, transport and waste
• Nuclear defence expertise
• Re-engineering of its research strategy with its main partners
• Optimising missions in support of public authorities
• Making its expertise accessible to meet society’s expectations
• Developing the European and worldwid dimension